Monday, May 12, 2014

Nan Khatai /சூஸ்பரி

Happy Mothers Day to all the mothers around the world :)))

Hope everyone had a great mothers day. I really had a great one this year... My daughter gifted me a flower vase which she made from school. And she herself drew, cut and colored a heart for me. And I got loads of kisses from her through out the day :))) She made a pretend cake and snacks, we both cut the cake and shared the snacks and played some pretend games. When it was my turn  to be a baby and my daughter to be the mom, She asked me, "Sweetie!, what gift you are going to give me for Mother's day?" I was blinking what to answer, and she dint put me in trouble, she came up with a suggestion as "Mamma will be happy if you give a tight hug and a sweet kiss". So sweet mom (though pretend!) she was.


Now about the recipe, As mothers day special, I have prepared Nan Khatai / சூஸ்பரி which is my mom's favorite snack from her childhood. She never used to be particular about her favorite things. But these nan khatais are exceptional. The one we get in our native used to be very soft and used to melt in our mouth. And my mom loves these a lot.


So I have made these as Mothers day special recipe.

The Nan Khatai which i made this time were little crispy and the taste was awesome. It was liked by my family and friends also.

Recipe inspired from here

Ingredients:

All purpose flour - 1 cup
confectioner sugar - 1/2 cup
Butter - 1/2 cup (at room temperature)
baking powder - 1/2 tea spoon
salt - 1/8 tea spoon
nutmeg powder - 1/2 tea spoon
elachi powder - 1/2 tea spoon

Preparation:

1. In a mixing bowl beat butter well
2.Now add sugar and beat well to a smooth paste
3. Sieve flour, salt and baking powder
4.Add elachi powder, nutmeg powder then mix it to the smooth paste
5. Now add the flour mix little by little with the butter paste and mix well.
6. Once all the ingredients are mixed, knead the dough with hands, cover with a plastic wrapper or cover the bowl with a lid, and let it rest for 20 minutes.
7. After 20 minutes again knead the dough again and make small balls out of it.
8. In the mean time, pre-heat the oven to 300F and line the cookie sheet.
9. Then, arrange the balls with some gap between each and bake for 20-25 minutes in middle rack.
10.cool them in cooling rack and store it in airtight container.

Notes:
1.Given quantity of ingredients made about 12 medium sized cookies.
2. It took 23 minutes for me to bake in my oven.
3. If you are using salted butter, avoid adding salt in the cookies.
4. Just make the balls without crack so the cookies will be smooth and perfect in doom shape without any cracks in it.
5.Do not over bake, the cookies will turn hard and the bottom of the cookie will burn and the taste will get change.
6.When you remove from oven the cookies will look like soft, once they are cool down, it will be perfect crisp.



sending this recipe to Rafee's baking fest event  Bake fest May 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment